main content starts here

Sanfordville students take historic tour of school grounds

on April 20, 2018

Standing on a grassy area, an adult speakes to a gorup of students.Braving 35 windy degrees, Sanfordville fourth graders followed members of the Warwick Historical Society (WHS) on a historic walkabout of the school grounds.

The tour began at the historic site of the DeKay House, a small area around the school’s flagpole. Yellow tape delineated the walls of what was once the home of the DeKay family, settled here in 1724. The original 1200-acre property was owned by the Wawayanda Patent and negotiated with the local Lenape tribes. The land would later be sold to the Baird and Sanford families and farmed till the late 1900’s–before becoming the home of Sanfordville Elementary.Students and adults walk across a school field with a parking lot in the background

Tour guide Lisa-Ann Weisbrod, WHS executive director, made several historic connections, including the French, Indian and Revolutionary wars. References to notable military officers promoted a conversation about local road and street names.  

Students were also challenged to imagine the reason behind certain practices of the early settlers, such as building homes close to a road, or with very low ceilings.Students run down a green field with solar panels and hills in the foreground

While the tour is mainly about early history, the recent installation of the solar project on school property bought recent history into the discussion.

The historic walkabout is but one of several programs offered to Warwick schools by the Warwick Historical Society.

Subscribe

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Comments are closed.