Homeowners: new Basic STAR
registration program -
note Dec. 31 deadline
If you have questions about your STAR
code or registration,
please call 518-457-2036
Dec. 9, 2013 - In New York State, new legislation
will now require all homeowners currently receiving the Basic
STAR exemption on their property taxes to register
by Dec. 31, 2013 with the New York State Dept. of Tax and
Finance to receive the exemption in 2014 and subsequent
years. Homeowners will not have to register in order to receive
their 2013 STAR exemptions.
According to the New York State Dept. of Taxation and Finance, this is part of a new initiative to protect New Yorkers against the costs of inappropriate or fraudulent STAR exemptions.
STAR letters mailed to Orange County residents this fall
Sept. and Oct., the Tax Department mailed a letter to all
homeowners with 2013-14 Basic STAR exemptions. The letter includes a unique STAR code that the homeowner will need in
order to register. Homeowners can look up
their STAR code online -
or by calling the Tax Department at 518-457-2036.
Ways to register for STAR
To register, homeowners may use an online application or call the Tax Department. The web address and phone number are listed above and on the letter that will be sent to your home.
Senior citizens receiving the Enhanced STAR exemption are NOT IMPACTED by this new registration requirement. They will continue to apply annually or participate in the Income Verification Program.
According to the Tax Department, there are about 2.7 million homes with a Basic STAR exemption. To make sure you continue to receive the exemption in 2014 and thereafter, please register with the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance:
• Visit online STAR Registration web page:
(Note - The Warwick Town Assessor can assist you to log in from her office if you don't have access to a computer at home - see contact information at right.)
• Email the Office of Real Property Tax Services (ORPTS): firstname.lastname@example.org
• Call the NYS Dept. of Taxation and Finance: 518-474-2819 or 518-457-2036.
More about New York’s STAR program
• Residents who own their own homes may reduce their school property taxes through the NY State School Tax Relief (STAR) Program.
• The STAR Program is a tax relief for homeowners, paid for through state taxes. It is not a new source of funding for schools and does not reduce or increase actual school tax rates.
• To receive the tax relief, you need to apply through your local assessor's office to be eligible for the tax break. In the past, taxpayers receiving the Basic STAR exemption did not need to apply every year, but had to notify their local assessor if their primary residence changed. To receive Basic STAR in 2014, New York State is NOW REQUIRING HOMEOWNERS to REGISTER.
• The school tax bill you receive in the fall shows the total amount you are exempt from paying under STAR. The actual amount of the full value exemption is dependent on the individual city/town where you reside.
• Seniors who receive the Enhanced STAR exemption must re-apply annually. Applicants must supply their most current income tax return. The changes to the Basic STAR program do NOT apply to the Enhanced STAR exemption.