PIE GUIDING PRINCIPLES
In PIE, teaching and learning:
1. Are centered around big concepts and ideas that are integrated across the curriculum.
• Whole ideas, events and materials are presented in
• Concepts and skills are interrelated, making learning meaningful.
T. Wagner: Survival Skill #7 "Curiosity and Imagination" are fostered by this type of teaching and learning.
2. Affirm students’ interests, ideas, and points of view as essential to the learning process.
• Each child possesses a unique social, emotional, and
intellectual developmental profile.
• Conferencing and goal setting encourages students to take initiative for their own learning.
T. Wagner: Survival Skill #4 "Initiative and Entrepreneurialism"
3. Promote a community whose members include parents, students, and teachers as partners.
• Members of the community exchange ideas to create engaging
• Community members, along with district leaders, assume key roles in the growth and
well being of the program.
4. Capitalize on students’ various developmental levels to effect academic and social growth.
• Teachers endeavor to address the diverse needs and abilities
of their students with
practices that include: peer tutoring, flexible grouping and cooperative learning.
• Learning is socially constructed and often interactive; teachers create classroom
interactions that scaffold learning.
T. Wagner: Survival Skill #2 "“Collaboration and Leadership”"
5. Are assessed and evaluated with a variety of materials.
• Instruction and authentic assessment are woven together.
• Developmental continuums provide the link between instruction, assessment,
New York State Standards, and student portfolios.
6. Foster the growth and development of socially responsible citizens and lifelong learners.
• Students are encouraged to make responsible choices within
the framework of
• Students are given opportunities to take an active role in solving problems in their community.
• Learning is framed as an active process that extends beyond the parameters of school.
T. Wagner: Survival Skill #1 "“Critical Thinking and Problem Solving”